Chi HouseHomeRepair | How to Convert a Traverse rod to One-way draw

Free Shipping on Orders Over $49! Buy Now and Save at!

How to Convert a Traverse rod to One-way draw

By HHR Staff ~ Colbyt

Converting a two way draw traverse rod to a one draw is a very simple process. A rod has a Overlap carrier and an under lap carrier. The names make sense if you view the rod from the front. In the picture below you are viewing the rod from the back and the bottom.  The overlap carrier is on the left and the under lap is on the right.  The under lap carrier is made to be removable and the direction of the overlap one can be reversed by removing the screw and turning the arm in the opposite direction. This is the default settings for a new rod fresh out of the box.

To convert the rod to a one way draw in either direction lay the rod on a flat surface and then simply pull it apart by extending it as far to the left and right as it will go. The under lap carrier can then be slide out of the rod  and you will have something that looks like this:


The string slips between the two notches that are located on the under lap carrier in the manner shown below:

The screw that is shown in the images above and below can be removed to allow you to reverse the direction of the overlap arm so that it points to the proper left or right direction that you need.  

Your string can drop from either side of the rod simply by pulling it down on the side you want it on. The factory default setting is for the string to be on the right.

This is a Kirsch brand rod but most of the major brands work the same way. Graber has the two individual knots tied together but they should be converted to the double knots as shown in the photos so that you can apply tension to the pulley. With a one way draw or converted rod is make no difference which string you pull to apply the tension to the pulley, 

More Articles in:  Window Treatments

Click or touch anywhere on the text to view article.

Are Interior Shutters A Good Choice for You?
First things first: interior shutters are not blinds! Blinds can also cover the windows in your home, but they're usually flipped open-and-shut, and d................

Installing Blinds
This article applies to all 1-2" wood, faux or metal blinds whether they are custom ordered or ready-made product. Most of it is applicable to pleated................

Measuring For Blinds
Measuring for your blinds is the most important step in the entire process. You need accurate measurements to order the blinds and receive the correct................

Choosing a Mounting Style for Blinds or Shades
The very first step in purchasing or ordering any blind or shade product is to determine how it will be mounted so that you can take the proper measur................

How to Measure for Pleated Draperies
This article is titled "How to Measure for Pleated Draperies" but the same basic rules apply anytime you are measuring for draperies, curtains, valenc................

How to Install a Traverse Rod Part One
This is part one of a two part illustrated article that will show you everything you need to know in order to install a traverse rod.................

How to Install a Traverse Rod Part Two
This is part two of a two part illustrated article that will show you everything you need to know in order to install a traverse rod.................

Installing Window Treatments on Masonry Walls
Installing window treatments or anything else for that matter on masonry walls present a much different challenge than a normal installation. Masonry ................

Materials for Installing Window Treatments
The most frustrating part of working around the home is stopping for the multiple trips back to the hardware store. Stocking up with enough of everyt................

Read how this works